Christ Alone (John 1:15-18)
Topic: John Scripture: John 1:15–1:18
First Scripture Reading: Deuteronomy 5:6-21; Matthew 22:34-40
Second Scripture Reading: John 1:1-18
Sermon Text: John 1:15-18
We live in an age in which many people do not take issue with Jesus if he is put forth as one among many sources of wisdom and morality. The problem usually arises when we as Christians affirm that he is unique and the only source of spiritual truth and saving grace. In his prologue, the Apostle John clearly reveals that Jesus is unique. Jesus is not just a great moral teacher or a charismatic leader; he is God the Son, the eternal Word who existed before creation and through whom all things were made (John 1:1-3). As one preacher said, “We can never think too highly of Jesus. In fact, all of our thoughts about Christ are too low—he is greater than we can ever comprehend.”
- For review, read John 1:1-14 and think about the many ways that Christ has been described by John (Christ is Light, Life, etc.). Which descriptions are the most comforting to you? Which ones are the most challenging to your understanding of God and the world?
- Read John 1:15. John the Baptist was about 6 months older than Jesus. How does knowing this help you better understand the significance of his words?
- Read John 1:16-17. What comparison is John making between Moses and Jesus? What did Jesus accomplish that Moses did not (and could not) accomplish? Read and consider how Hebrews 3:1-6 reveals Jesus’ superiority to Moses.
- What is the significance of the phrase “grace upon grace” in v. 16?
- Read John 1:18. In what way does Christ reveal God? Compare Exodus 33:30 with 1 John 1:3. Can you say, with confidence, that you know God? Why?
- In preparation for next week, read John 1:19-34. What was the testimony of John the Baptist? What do you think John the Baptist was saying about who he is and who Jesus is?
More in John
October 10, 2021Pastor Ben Muresan - Our Weakness, and Christ's Strength and Grace (John 18:15-18, 25-27)
October 3, 2021Pastor Clayton Willis - Bound for Our Freedom (John 18:12-14, 19-24)
September 26, 2021Pastor Ben Muresan - Betrayed and Arrested (John 18:1-11)