Life and Light (John 1:4-5)
Topic: John Scripture: John 1:4–1:5
First Scripture Reading: Psalm 27:1-14
Second Scripture Reading: Ephesians 2:1-22
Sermon Text: John 1:4-5
Three of the most important themes in John’s gospel appear in the prologue: life, light, and darkness. These themes help explain Jesus and his ministry, both the meaning and purpose of it. In essence, Jesus came to bring us from spiritual death to life, and in doing so, to give us the light of his salvation. When we trust in him, we move from death to life, and from darkness to light. Richard Phillips writes:
That is the way to life and light: to cease trusting in yourself or in anything else of this world that might commend you to God, and surrender your case into the hands of Jesus. “I have come into the world as light,” he said, “so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness” (John 12:46). That light is still shining, and through him you can have life everlasting, life abundant, life in Christ. “These are written,” says John, “so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name” (John 20:31).
- For review, read John 1:1-3. What do these verses reveal about Jesus? What do they reveal about the Trinity? What applications for the Christian life can you draw from the doctrine of the Trinity?
- What are some connections you see between Genesis 1 and John 1:4-5?
- What do the following verses teach about spiritual death? Genesis 2:15-17; Ezekiel 37:1-3; Ephesians 2:1-3.
- How does the Apostle Paul describe spiritual life according to Ephesians 2:4-10?
- What do the following verses written by the Apostle John say about spiritual darkness? John 3:19-21; 8:12; 12:35-36, 45; 1 John 1:5-6; 2:7-11.
- What does John mean when he writes that “the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it” (John 1:5)?
- In preparation for next Sunday, read John 1:6-9. Who was John the Baptist? How do you think John’s ministry prepared the way for Jesus’ ministry?
More in John
December 27, 2020Jesus' Urgent Call to Believe in Him (John 12:44-50)
November 22, 2020Repent and Believe in Christ! (John 12:36-43)
November 15, 2020Living as Lights in a Dark World (John 12:34-36)