Fight the Good Fight of the Faith (Joshua 10:16 - 12:24)
Topic: Joshua Scripture: Joshua 10:16–12:24
First Scripture Reading: Joshua 10:16-28
Second Scripture Reading: Joshua 11:1-23
Sermon Text: Joshua 10:16 - 12:24
In Joshua 10 - 12 we read about the many battles that Israel fought as they were led by the Commander of the Lord’s army—by God himself. These chapters in Joshua provide only short summaries of Israel’s victories, but we have to read in-between the lines and remember that many of these battles were difficult and required courage and perseverance. Israel was in ongoing warfare. This is a picture of the Christian life. There will never be a time in this life where we will not be fighting against sin, temptation, and evil. Yet even in the midst of this struggle, we find comfort and courage in knowing that we are following after the greater Joshua, Jesus Christ, who was victorious over Satan and sin, who leads us in this good fight of the faith, and who will return to crush all evil.
- For review, read Joshua 10:1-15. How did the Lord fight for his people? Why do you think Joshua 10:12-15 is one of the passages in the Bible that many atheists appeal to when trying to discredit Christianity?
- Read Joshua 10:16-28. How does this passage connect with 1 Kings 5:3, Psalm 110:1, and with what the Apostle Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 15:20-26?
- Read Joshua 11:18 and Westminster Confession of Faith Ch. 13 (On Sanctification). In what sense is the Christian life a fight? How do passages such as Ephesians 6:10-20 and 2 Timothy 4:7 help you understand what a “normal” Christian life looks like?
- What daily victories come to mind as you consider how the Spirit has been working in your life? Why do you think it is important to keep track of how you are growing in grace?
- In preparation for next week, read Joshua 14:6-15. Who was Caleb? How did God reward his faith?
More in Joshua: God Keeps His Promises
August 11, 2019The Most Important Decision You Will Ever Make (Joshua 24)
August 4, 2019Priorities for the Future (Joshua 23)
July 28, 2019Rumor Has It (Joshua 22)