Michael Preciado- The Benedictus (Luke 1:67-79)
Topic: Guest Preacher Scripture: Luke 1:67–79
First Scripture Reading: Genesis 50:1-26
Second Scripture Reading: Luke 9:18-36
Sermon Text: Luke 1:67-79
Luke 1:67-79 is a hymn of praise, sung by an Old Testament priest, about the Divine visitation in Jesus Christ. This visitation is meant to invoke the pattern of the Exodus. The Son of God visited his people and liberated them from sin, Satan, and the world. He did this by his active and passive obedience. He now leads his people through the wilderness of this world through his Word and sacraments. This wilderness wandering will culminate in our entrance into the Promised Land of heaven. John the Baptist is the forerunner, or herald, indicating that this Second Exodus is about to commence.
1. For review from last Sunday, read Philippians 2:12-13. What are good works? Are they necessary for salvation?
2. What is the significance of the word "visited" in Luke 1:68?
3. How does Christ fulfill the Abrahamic covenant?
4. In what way does the transfiguration (Luke 9:28-31) demonstrate that Christ is leading a Second Exodus?
5. What is the purpose of John the Baptist?
6. How does the Exodus pattern (liberation, wandering, Promised Land) apply to your life right now?
More in Guest Preachers
September 18, 2022Rudy Manrique - Jesus Christ, Our Prophet, Priest, and King (Mark 2:1-12)
July 3, 2022Rudy Manrique - How to Protect Yourself Against False Teachers (2 John 1:7-13)
June 26, 2022Rudy Manrique - Holding Fast to Truth and Love (2 John 1:1-6)